/head>

Saturday, October 09, 2004

Christ or Me?

While reading my daily devotion today, I was deeply impressed by the way Oswald Chambers express his thoughts regarding a sense of restedness in his heart. "I cannot save and sanctify myself; I cannot atone for sin; I cannot redeem the world; I cannot make right what is wrong, pure what is impure, holy what is unholy. That is all the sovereign work of God." Do I have faith in what Jesus Christ has done? I have to confess that there were times I try to earn my salvation. I rely on my own strength and not on the strength of the Lord. Yes, my heart's desire can be pure but do I lay down everything at the foot of the cross and trust in the finish work of the Lord Jesus Christ? There are so many things in this world that I wish that I was able to make right. Many times I fail. Many times I am disappointed. But why does all these happen? It's because I have not truly found rest in the Lord. Having a sense of restedness in your heart is key to a fulfilling life. Do you feel lonely? Do you feel empty inside? Do you feel that there is a void that you aren't able to fill? That is because, you have not found a sense of restedness in your heart! We fall prey to this everyday in our lives. As Oswald puts it, "The great need is not to do things but to believe things." It's not through your action, it is through faith! I like what A.W. Tower said, "When we are at the Lord's table, we do not need to usher in the presence of God. He's here!". God is here! And He's here to do overexceedingly and immeasureably more than you and I can ever ask for. The question is whether we are willing to submit to Him and obey Him? Are we willing to rest in Him? Following Christ is a daily decision. It's a daily decision to rest in Him. It's a daily decision to obey Him. Everyday, I die to self, I gain Christ. The words of John Stott reminds us that God is there "at the beginning." according to Genesis 1:1. The first four words in the Bible are more than just an introduction to creation. John Stott beautifully expounds the Word of God that, "You can never take God by surprise. You can never anticipate him. He always makes the first move. He is always there "in the beginning". Before man existed, God acted. Before man stirs himself to seek God, God has sought man. In the Bible we do not see man groping after God; we see God reaching after man." I just love the last sentence, "...we do not see man groping after God; we see God reaching after man". It shows that God is sovereign. God is not on a throne a puppet master who plays our lives out and dictates what is destined in our lives. He is real and He is next to us during our trials and temptations. He was flesh. He was man! This shows a God of compassion and a God who cares for you and I. In the beginning, God loves you! Oh Lord, bring me continually to the trial of the Atonement, give me wisdom so that I may discern between this and that. Teach me to rest in You. It is not I but Christ. The problems and difficulties I face, I lay it all down at Your feet. Cleanse me and make me whole. Oh Lord, teach me how I can be more submissive and obedient to You. My only desire is that you make a masterpiece of my life through the finish work of Christ. That I may be an instrument for your bidding. One that impacts generations and builds a legacy for Your name sake. Bless me, Oh Lord! In Jesus name I commit all these, Amen